Making Healthy Shopping Trips
The foods you eat affect more than your weight loss efforts. They influence your energy, your health and even your mood, which is why at the start of any new wellness program it is wise to surround yourself with healthy foods. This means cleaning unhealthy items out of your pantry and taking steps to fundamentally improve the nature of your surroundings.
Making a few changes to your food shopping habits and filling your home with healthy items is a great place to start.
Healthy Shopping for a Healthier Lifestyle
It is possible to fill your home with healthy foods, follow a healthier diet and save money, all by making a few changes to your grocery shopping routine. It is often said that eating a healthy diet is expensive, and that switching from the average junk food diet to the all-natural healthy diet is not affordable for the average person. But in fact, eating healthy is affordable. You just need to know how to shop smart.
Shopping healthy starts before you reach the grocery store. Sit down with a cook book or your favorite recipe website and make a plan. Know what you’re going to serve each night of the week, and take special events into account so you know your plan is reasonable and easy to stick with. Then, make a list of the ingredients you need based off of your food plan.
Here are some healthy shopping tips:
- Know when to buy organic and when to stick with conventional produce
- Buy food for the whole week in one trip to avoid making smaller trips midweek
- Stick to your grocery list when you are at the store
- Swap out unhealthy beverages with water
- Stick to the periphery of the store to find natural foods, including meats, dairy and produce
- Avoid the impulse stands featuring snacks on the ends of each aisle
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients so you can buy larger sizes at the store to save money
Shopping healthy like this can help you turn your whole home into a healthier environment.