Eating Mindfully for Weight Loss
During medical weight loss, you will be focused on making positive choices concerning your diet, lifestyle habits and overall health and wellness. During this time, it is important that your habits are centered towards a healthier way of thinking, eating and living. One way of developing positive eating habits is through mindful eating. When you are eating mindfully you are paying close attention to what you are eating and how you are eating it.
Often times, when we eat, we do so in “autopilot” mode without giving much thought to how much we are truly eating or why we are eating. This is often done along with many distractions from everyday life. This is called mindless eating and can be a harmful eating pattern that can lead to overeating, bingeing and excessive weight gain.
What it means to Eat Mindfully
When you apply the concept of mindfulness to eating you are consciously aware of your actions when it comes to food. You approach eating in a slower, thoughtful way that incorporates noticing the smells, textures, tastes and sounds of the food you are consuming. You are also ensuring that you are fully present for the act of eating and free of distraction. Mindful eating is also about:
- Having a peaceful relationship with food that centers on your body’s needs
- Being fully aware and “in the moment” as you eat
- Balancing choice, wisdom and acceptance
- Eating to support your body’s natural healthy state
- Eating in a way that encourage your body to feel well
You can eat mindfully by:
- Eliminating distractions
- Sitting down to eat
- Slowing down the eating process (take your time/chew slowly)
- Taking time to appreciate what you are eating
- Processing your body’s natural cues for satiety and hunger
Eating Mindfully during Medical Weight Loss
Losing weight can sometimes become a stressful process. Although Dr. Waller will be there to ensure weight loss success, it is up to you to practice and develop long lasting healthy eating habits. Through mindful eating, you will become aware of your body’s connection to food and the act of eating. This will enhance your weight loss journey. Mindful eating aids in weight loss by:
- Allowing you to become more in tune with hunger hormones
- Reducing potential overeating
- Increasing your enjoyment and appreciation of food
- Improving your digestion
- Helping you feel satisfied with less
Mindful eating is just one habit to aid in your weight loss journey. It is important to change certain habits and lifestyle choices in order to make your weight loss a lasting success.