Healthy Foods That Help You Relax Naturally
If you are what you eat, is it possible to eat your way to a less stressful life? Maybe. Your diet might not make it easier to meet work deadlines or lower your interest rate on your mortgage, but there are certain foods that can naturally help you feel less stressed. Find out which foods can help lower your stress levels without adding to your waistline.
- Oranges: Bad day at work? Research shows that eating an orange can help return your blood pressure and stress hormone levels to normal.
- Apricots: Dried apricots contain a natural muscle relaxant, which may help ease the physical symptoms of stress. Apricots also contain magnesium, which is a known stress reducer.
- Turkey: The same trytophan that is responsible for afternoon naps on Thanksgiving Day can also help you feel more relaxed. If you want to avoid feeling sleepy, keep your portion sizes reasonable.
- Salmon: Cortisol and adrenaline are two hormones that tend to spike when we’re feeling stressed. Omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in salmon and other fish, can help keep these stress hormones in check.
- Walnuts: High blood pressure is a common symptom of stress, and walnuts have been shown to help lower your blood pressure. Pistachios also help regulate blood pressure while providing vitamins B and E.
Eating these 5 foods in times of high stress can help you naturally relax. You can also try exercising, meditating, or taking deep breaths.