Finding a Weight Loss Workout Partner
It’s not much of a secret that working out by yourself can be boring, especially if you’re pushing yourself through a long, silent hour on the treadmill. Many people subject themselves to such mindless solo workouts every day, but the solution can be quite simple: get a workout partner.
In addition to keeping you entertained, a workout partner can provide you with a number of benefits as you work towards weight loss in Rochester Hills, including:
• Motivation. Feel like skipping your workout? If you have a session planned with your partner, it won’t be so easy to weasel out of your commitment. Whenever we plan to exercise with someone else, they can hold us accountable and convince us to stick to our plans—your partner can even offer words of encouragement that help you push yourself harder during a workout.
• Competition. Even if you don’t have a competitive bone in your body, working out with someone else can help you develop a friendly rivalry that challenges you more during every minute of exercise. You can get an even bigger competitive boost by finding a partner who is just slightly fitter than you are.
• Spotting. Safety is key when you’re doing an exercise like the bench press, and your partner can provide it. With a dedicated workout partner, you’ll never need to search the gym for a spotter again.
The benefits of a workout partner are many, but not just anyone will do. You’ll get the most out of a workout partner who has:
- A similar fitness level. While it’s true that a more experienced partner can help you learn, your partnership likely won’t last long if you aren’t both benefitting from your sessions. Find someone who shares your goals and aspirations for fitness.
- A good attitude. Obviously, you’ll be spending a lot of time with your partner—you need to be someone you can get along with easily. However, this doesn’t mean you should immediately pick your best friend. Your partner should also be able to keep you motivated and tell you (gently) when you’re slacking off.
- A compatible schedule. If you can’t make it to the gym at the same times, you and your partner won’t do each other much good. Make sure you both have similar blocks of time open for workouts.
Your perfect workout partner may be someone you already know, but it could also be someone you haven’t met yet. As you stay focused on weight loss in Rochester Hills, stay friendly and open—you may just meet someone at the gym who makes the perfect exercise buddy!